Wednesday, September 12, 2012

~Butter Book Review~

Butter
 


Butter
By Erin Jade Lange
316 pages
Publication: 9/18/12 Bloomsbury


A lonely obese boy everyone calls "Butter" is about to make history. He is going to eat himself to death-live on the Internet-and everyone is invited to watch. When he first makes the announcement online to his classmates, Butter expects pity, insults, and possibly sheer indifference. What he gets are morbid cheerleaders rallying around his deadly plan. Yet as their dark encouragement grows, it begins to feel a lot like popularity. And that feels good. But what happens when Butter reaches his suicide deadline? Can he live with the fallout if he doesn't go through with his plans?
 
I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars
         
It took me a long time to get the courage to read this book. I thought it was going to be a tragic story and in many ways, it is. It is also a story about love and friendships and family.
Butter has always been the fat kid, spending his summer days at glorified fat camps, that always promised but never delivered. Always blaming everyone else for his problems. After a terrible incident at school; he decides to end it once and for all.
Instead of being bullied or being the school outcast, Butter starts to be one of the popular kids. Everyone knows his name and it feels really good. What will happen when his suicide deadline comes? Will Butter go through with it, or will he back out.
This book made me think a lot about my high school years and how I was treated and how I treated others. Some parts of this book was really hard to read. The part about how he gets the nickname Butter was awful. This book is so well written and I would encourage everyone to read it if you get the chance.

 

1 comment:

  1. wow, I'd heard about this book over the last several months, but had not seen any blog reviews about it.
    I'm like you in that I feel like Butter would be a 'hard' subject to read about ... and from your review, it sounds exactly that.
    I'll still give it a chance though, since you said it's worth it. thanks for your thoughtful review. I hope I can catch this one on sale. :)

    ~Lynne
    (tworeads.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete